On Sunday March the 25th I took part in a radio-style talk show looking at how the media covers nonbinary and nonconforming gender and what we can do to make that coverage better.
Hosted by Avory Faucette of QueerFeminism.com and Radically Queer as part of Women Action Media‘s WAM!-It-Yourself events, the show featured guests with expertise in gender-neutral parenting, nonbinary identities, and media coverage of transgender issues. The discussion looked closely at some misunderstandings the media makes and how we can take action to educate and improve coverage.
As well as myself, guest included Arwyn Daemyir, creator of Raising My Boychick; Gunner Scott, Director of the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition and Marilyn Roxie, creator of Genderqueer Identities and intern at the Center for Sex & Culture.
As well as speaking as an androgynously presenting nonbinary person, I also added a UK perspective and raised the differences between North American and British media coverage and activism.
Listen to the entire show as a streamed recording. My contribution begins at around 45 minutes but I’d recommend listening from the beginning. A transcript will be available within the next few weeks.
- Nonbinary.org wiki
- Genderqueer Identities resources list
- Genderfork online community for the expression of identities across the gender spectrum
- Genderqueer Chat collaborative YouTube channel
- META Magazine
- #transchat Twitter discussion
- Kate Bornstein’s #MNGW Twitter discussion crowd sourcing the update to My Gender Workbook
- Kate Bornstein and S Bear Bergman’s Gender Outlaws The Next Generation anthology
- Practical Androgyny: How Transgender Organisation Can Demonstrate Inclusivity